Saturday, September 12, 2015

Awkward: An Acquired Taste



I'm awkward and not in the charming way. I get nervous and repeat myself too much. I fumble and never know what to do with my hands. I can't look you in the eyes when I talk because I have to concentrate on what I want to say. I'm not good with conversation in person because all the words get jumbled up in my mouth. But my fingers seem to get it right. Even when I'm punch drunk I can be coherent in writing. My pen knows how to talk to my head whereas my lips can never get across what I'm thinking. 
And what I'm thinking is that maybe it's OK that I will never be able to mingle at a party with a bunch of strangers. Maybe it's better for me that I will never be proficient at small talk. Because no, I don't want to know your major. I want to know your favorite sin. No, I don't want to know how your classes or your job is. I want to know how your soul is managing. 
I may not be the most... Comfortable person to be around. But I sure as hell am entertaining.  Awkward is an acquired taste. With time, I'm sure I can show you how to enjoy it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment